Minimum Investment Requirements for Portugal Investor Residence Program
At least one of the following conditions of minimum investment requirements must be fulfilled.
- Transfer of capital of minimum value of EUR 1 million into Portugal. This can be done through purchase of shares of companies as well, or
Proof of Investment
Applicant must demonstrate transfer of capital for the requisite amount. The proofs to be submitted include:
- Statement by financial institution accredited in Portugal confirming average bank balance of applicant’s account of not less than EUR 1 million on a quarterly basis.
- Declaration issued by a banking institution accredited in Portugal certifying the effective transfer of an amount not less than EUR 1 million into an account of which the applicant is the sole or first holder of capital, or
- Declaration by duly accredited banking institution in Portugal certifying effective transfer of the requisite amount to purchase interests or shares in companies.
- In case of listed companies, statement by Stock Market Regulator or accredited banking institution certifying the ownership of shares
- In case of unlisted companies, applicant must submit statement by Administration or Management of that company along with certified accounting report proving the ownership of applicant and the full compliance with the required investment. An updated certificate issued by the Commercial Register certifying that the applicant is the holder of share capital in a company
- Creation of at least ten job positions in Portugal, or
Proof of Investment
- An updated certificate issued by Social Security certifying maintenance of ten job posts.
- Purchase of real estate in Portugal that is free of charges or mortgages of a minimum value of EUR 500,000.
Date of purchase should be after 8th October 2012.
The application of or residency permit cannot be made before completion of the acquisition.
Co-ownership is permissible provided each co-owner makes an investment of minimum EUR 500,000.
Applicant can seek finance for purchase of property provided the applicant’s contribution is not less than EUR 500,000.
The properties acquired by applicant can be rented for commercial, tourism, and agricultural purposes.
Proof of Investment
- Final deeds along with statement by accredited financial institution certifying effective transfer of not less than EUR 500,000 for the purchase.
- Promissory contract for purchase of property with statement by accredited financial institution certifying effective transfer of not less than EUR 500,000 for first payment. The purchase must be effected before applying for first renewal of residency permit.
- Updated certificate issued by the Real Estate Register. In case of a promissory contract for purchase of real estate, the certificate must include the registration of the contract in that department where such registration is legally feasible.
The investment must be maintained for a minimum period of five years from the date of issue of the Residence Permit.
- Urban Rehabilitation: The applicant must invest a sum of not less than EUR 350,000 in a property that was constructed at least 30 years ago. Or, such investment should be made for the purpose of rehabilitation of a property that is located in Urban Rehabilitation Areas.
- Scientific Research and Development: The applicant must invest at least EUR 350,000 in R&D activities of institutions that are part of the national technological system in Portugal.
- Promotion of Culture: The applicant must invest at least EUR 250,000 towards the promotion and financing of bodies that are pursuing cultural or artistic activities in Portugal. This investment should be made only through an approved body. Or, the investment should be made for renovation or maintenance of cultural heritage in the country.
- Small Cap and Mid Cap Finance: The applicant must invest at least EUR 500,000 towards purchase of units of investment funds or venture capital funds that provide capital to small-cap or mid-cap companies in Portugal. These funds are obligated to provide a detailed capitalization plan to the investor.
- Investment in Low Population Areas: This is not a separate category of investment. The Golden Visa applicant can enjoy a 20% reduction in the minimum investments required provided such investment is made in an area that is officially designated as a low population density area.
A low population density area has:
- Less than 100 inhabitants per sq. km, or
- per capita GDP that is less than 75% of the national average in Portugal.
This option is not available when the applicant is investing a sum of EUR 1 million or more in any category or when opting for the Small and Mid Cap Finance investment category.
Interested Investors: Kindly complete the following form and we will contact you to discuss your global residency and citizenship investment options.