What is Golden Residence Permit Programme?
The Golden Residence Permit Programme is a mechanism that allows you to apply for a residence permit by investing in Portugal. You can apply for a residence permit by transferring capital, creating jobs in Portugal, or by acquiring real estate in Portugal.
The mechanism allows non-Portugal citizen to obtain permission for temporary residence to conduct investment activity without obtaining a full residency visa when entering the national territory.
Benefits of the Golden Residence Permit Programme
Having made the investment in Portugal, the investor will be entitled to:
- Exemption from the requirement of obtaining a resident visa for entering Portugal
- Live and work in Portugal when maintaining residence in another country.
- Study in Portugal.
- Exemption from obtaining visa when travelling within the Schengen Area.
- Obtain temporary residence, permanent residence, and citizenship for your family as well.
- Become a permanent resident after a period of five years subject to the terms and conditions of the program.
- Become a citizen of Portugal after a period of six years subject to the terms and conditions of the program.
|Country Size||92212 km2|
|GDP (billion current USD)||219.96|
|Earning per capita (current USD)||21405.0|
|Passport Meter||Click Here|
|Cost Of Living||Click Here|
Investment Requirements: Golden Residence Permit
|Capital Investment||Transfer of capital of minimum value of EUR 1 million into Portugal including through purchase of shares of companies|
|Job Creation||Creation of at least ten job positions in Portugal|
|Real Estate||Purchase of unencumbered real estate in Portugal of a minimum value of EUR 500,000.|
Co-ownership or purchase of property through finance is permissible provided each individual makes a mandatory minimum investment of EUR 350,000.
|Urban Rehabilitation||Investment of at least EUR 350,000 in constructed 30 years ago or investment for rehabilitation of properties located in Urban Rehabilitation Areas|
|Scientific Research and Development||Investment of at least EUR 350,000 in R&D activities of institutions that are part of the national technological system.|
|Promotion of Culture||Investment of at least EUR 250,000 towards financing of bodies pursuing cultural or artistic activities or towards renovation or maintenance of cultural heritage.|
|Small Cap and Mid Cap Finance||Investment of at least EUR 350,000 towards purchase of units of small-cap or mid-cap venture capital funds.|
|Business Creation or Investment||Investment of at least EUR 350,000 in a new commercial activity creating at least 5 jobs, or in an existing commercial activity to create or maintain at east 5 jobs.|
|Investment in Low Population Areas||20% reduction in minimum investments in the above-mentioned categories when investment is made in a low population density area.|
This reduction is not available to investors contributing EUR 1 million or more and investors opting for Small and Mid Cap Finance category of the Golden Visa program.
Fees: Golden Residence Permit
|Investor Residency Permit|
|Residency Permit for Family Members|
Eligibility: Golden Residence Permit
Any third-country citizens fulfilling the following conditions can apply:
- Conducting an investment activity as an individual or through a company setup in Portugal or any other EU Member State.
- Stably settled in Portugal.
- In compliance with character and good conduct requirements.
Validity Period: Golden Residence Permit
The residency permit is initially granted for a period of one year. It can be renewed for two years after the end of the first year. After expiry of first renewal, the applicant can apply for a further renewal of two more years. 1year + 2 years + 2 years= 5 years.
Applicant will be eligible to apply for permanent residency after five years and can apply for citizenship after the end of the sixth year.
Minimum Residency Requirements: Golden Residence Permit
Consecutive or non-consecutive residence in Portugal for at least
- 7 days in the first year, and
- 14 days in subsequent periods of two years.
Inclusion of Family Members
- Children including minor with incapacity, adopted, and dependent students.
- Adult children studying in Portugal or any other country will be considered a family member if the applicant or his or her spouse is responsible for such child.
- Dependant parents.
- Minor siblings under custody of ap
- Life partner under registered partnership. Children of life partner including minor, incapacitated, and adopted children.
Documentation: Golden Residence Permit
- Valid passport.
- Proof of character.
- Proof of absence of debts owed to Portugal authorities.
- Investment Undertaking.
- Proof of health insurance.
- Receipt of application fee
Click here to learn more about the application procedure and government policy applicable to Portugal’s Golden Visa program.