Applicants who fall under any of the categories below shall not be eligible to obtain citizenship under this Programme unless the agency executing the Programme is satisfied that the applicant has proven extraordinary circumstances meriting a consideration for approval. After the agency issues a reasoned opinion considering the applicant for approval, the application shall be referred to the Minister. The Minister has sole authority to grant such approval.
- Applicant has submitted false information in his/her application.
- Applicant has a criminal record;
- Applicant is the subject of a criminal investigation;
- Applicant is a potential national security threat to Malta;
- Applicant is, or is likely to be, involved in activity likely to cause disrepute to Malta;
- Applicant has been denied a visa to a country having a visa-free travel arrangement with Malta and has not subsequently obtained a visa to the country that denied the visa.