Ordinary residents can seek for special tax treatment by applying under Malta Global Residence Program for third-country nationals and the Residence Program applicable to EU nationals.
- To apply under Malta Global Residence Program, the applicant should not be a citizen of an EU nation, Iceland, Norway Liechtenstein, or Switzerland, and should not hold dual citizenship.
- To apply under The Residence Program, the applicant should a citizen of an EU nation, an EEA nation, or Switzerland.
- The applicant must own or lease immovable property of prescribed value as his/her principal place of residence in the world.
- In south of Malta or Gozo
- Not less than EUR 225,000 in case of purchase and not less than EUR 8750 per annum in case of a lease
- In any other region in Malta
- Not less than EUR 250,000 in case of purchase and not less than EUR 9600 per annum in case of a lease.
- In south of Malta or Gozo
- Such property cannot be occupied by anybody other than the applicant, his or her dependents, and their household staff. Such property cannot be let or sub let out further.
Income Requirements for Malta Global Residence Program
The applicant has a stable income and has adequate resources to maintain self and dependent sin Malta without requiring any form of social assistance.
Residence Requirements for Malta Global Residence Program
The beneficiary should not reside more than 183 days in a calendar year in any country other than Malta.
- The applicant must have a valid travel document.
- The applicant must have adequate health insurance covering self and dependents for all risks covered for nationals of Malta across the European Union.
- The applicant must possess fluency in English or Maltese.
- The applicant must be a fit and proper person of good conduct and morals and fulfilling other requirements as evidenced by a police conduct certificate.
- The applicant should not be a beneficiary of any other residence program of Malta. If a beneficiary, the individual can apply after renouncing the benefits provided under any other residence program.
- Payment of administrative fee of EUR 6,000.
Application Procedure for Malta Global Residence Program
- The application must be submitted to the Commissioner through an Authorized Registered Mandatory (ARM).
- The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Proof of purchase or lease of immoveable property of the prescribed value.
- Separate agreement relating to furnishings, if applicable, in case of a leased property.
- Declaration regarding of value of the property along with independent valuation by architect and a plan of the property if the purchase or lease of such property was finalized before 6th July, 2013.
- Declaration of the property being occupied as the applicant’s principal residence in the world.
- Proof of receipt of stable and regular income.
- Certified copy of valid travel documents.
- Proof of adequate health insurance for self and dependents
- Certified copy of proof of proficiency in English or Maltese
- Police conduct certificate that is not dated earlier than six months from the date of submission of the application.
- Sworn declaration that the applicant is not subject of any ongoing civil or criminal proceeding.
- Proof of payment of the administrative fees
- The completed application form undergoes the due diligence process, after which the outcome will be notified to the ARM.
- Upon approval of the application, a personal interview of the applicant will take place following which the Letter of Intent will be issued.
- The LoI will remain valid for a period of 12 months, within which period the applicant must submit proof of lease or final purchase deed related to the immoveable property.
- Upon submission of the necessary documents, the confirmation letter will be issued.
Tax Treatment for Malta Global Residence Program
Upon grant of special tax status, the applicant or the beneficiary will be subject to the following tax rules:
- 15% tax on the beneficiary’s foreign income that is remitted to Malta.
- 35% tax on all incomes and capital gains earned or generated in the country.
- No tax on unremitted foreign income or foreign capital gains.
- 35% tax on all incomes of the dependents of the beneficiary.
- Minimum tax liability of EUR15, 000 subject to double tax relief applicable to the beneficiary.
Cessation of Tax Status for Malta Global Residence Program
The beneficiary will cease to be eligible for the special tax treatment in the following cases:
- Acquisition of citizenship of Malta, Switzerland, or an EEA nation.
- Sale of the immoveable property or lease or sub lease of the same.
- Acquisition of status of long-term resident of Malta.
- No health insurance coverage or inadequate coverage.
- Stay in a foreign jurisdiction for more than 183 days in a calendar year.
Interested Investors: Kindly complete the following form and we will contact you to discuss your global residency and citizenship investment options.