A new language requirement has been introduced by British Columbia for its Entrepreneur Immigration category.
As of January 29, 2020, candidates require Canadian Language Benchmark Level 4 in English or French to qualify for the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program stream.
The requirement has to be met by the nomination stage of the process, meaning candidates come to the province on a work permit and have the chance to improve their language skills.
The change is designed to make applicants to the program more likely to succeed in the Canadian economy.
“Research shows that proficiency in one of Canada’s official languages has a significant impact on the economic and social integration of immigrants into their new country,” a BC PNP statement said.
Entrepreneur Immigration Eligibility Requirements
- The personal net worth of minimum $600,000, legally obtained.
- Invest minimum $200,000 in an eligible new business or to purchase and improve an existing business in BC.
- Create at least one new full-time job in your business for a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
- Canadian Language Benchmark Level 4 In English or French in each of the four competencies: listening, speaking, reading and writing, BY THE TIME OF NOMINATION.
- Suitable business and/or management experience.
- Have, or be eligible for, legal temporary immigration status in Canada.
- Have been lawfully admitted to the country where you currently reside.
Meanwhile, British Columbia has also moved to remove the key staff option under the Entrepreneur Immigration – Base Category.
As of January 29, key staff can no longer be included in applications.
“This change will allow the principal applicant to be more involved in the day-to-day operations of the business, increasing the interaction with suppliers and customers, which will help in improving language proficiency,” a BC PNP statement said.
The changes are for new applications only. Those who have already applied will be assessed on the category requirements pre-January 29.
Interested Investors: Kindly complete the following form and we will contact you to discuss your global residency and citizenship investment options.